06 September 2009

Gamer


Look, I have a problem, okay? Sometimes I go to see bad movies because they're mindless, there are guns, and Gerard Butler has big arms. I know this is a problem. Most times I'm entertained. This time I wasn't.

The movie is a cross between Death Race and The Matrix (barely). And I was hoping that, like Death Race, it would be so-bad-it's-good, the kind of movie I always watch when I come across it on TV. No chance.

It just wasn't as fun as it could have been. It's almost like it wasn't corny and ridiculous enough. (But wait - that can't be it - there was actually a musical number!) I was bored, so I found myself actually thinking about the set-up, which is really pretty cool. In the future, there are these 2 real-life video games, where people control the players. One is with death row inmates killing other death row inmates, and the other is like a real-life Sims. The people being controlled are the dregs of society - poor, addicts, desperate, etc., while the controllers are rich and perverted. The concept is interesting, I think.

But the movie doesn't really concentrate on the whole ethical debate of the situation. The movie concentrates on guns, tits (Did you know girls have them? You will by the time you see this movie), and the kind of editing and directing that makes your head vibrate.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Bummer, I'm going to see this at some point this week and I was hoping it would be good. But then, I have much lower standards than you do... ;)