14 June 2008

When Bad Movies Happen to Good People


Note to self: when a movie has a 20% on Rotten Tomatoes, DO NOT SEE IT. Even if you really really want to.

Now, I like M. Night Shyamalan. Love him. I have enjoyed every single movie he put out, even though most people have been hating on him for years. I loved Lady in the Water, probably his most-hated film. Well, at least until The Happening. And now I can finally join in the hating.

This movie was beyond pointless. Completely bereft of point. "Shocking", "weird" things were complete non-sequiturs, just there to be "spooky". It wasn't even scary!!! It was nonsensical and poorly acted. Like really poorly acted. Mark Wahlberg is a good actor, right? He was freaking awesome in The Departed. In this? OMG, his delivery is so off.

There is no twist. There is no purpose. Nothing happens in The Happening. Boo. Color me disappointed.

1 comment:

Kim said...

oh no!!!!!! I too LOVE M. Night Shyamalan and I LOVE Mark Wahlberg so I thought that this would be the perfect movie for me :( I'm bummed!