22 November 2007

Beowulf Stinks


I can't put it any plainer than that, folks. I saw it because these are the things a wife does for her husband, and I heard the 3-D version was worth it. It wasn't. Sure, it was probably 600 times more worth it than the plain version, but it still stinks.

I hate this kind of animation. Hate it! There's nothing amazing or real-looking about it. There were only 2 times where I found myself thinking, Wow, OK, that person looks real. The rest of the time they either looked like Downs Syndrome versions of the actors or Shrek characters. The acting is horrible, probably because the animated characters can't show emotion. The dialog was horrific. That can't be the fault of the dude from the 8th century who wrote the poem, it has to be the adapter.

It was soooo booooring too. At least the 3-D was fun to watch. A couple times I definitely thought I was about to be hit with an arrow or something. Without the 3-D, there's no point in seeing this movie. And really, you can get the same effect with those 3-D attractions at Disney World.

We were going to see Hitman, but I read some bad reviews, including one from a geek site. But now I can't see how it can be worse than Beowulf, so I'm tempted to see it. I'll probably regret that too, but this is a 4-day weekend after all. What else am I gonna do after today?

No comments: