22 June 2011

SYTYCD: Performances

So here we are, once again with 20 dancers. Let's see if the results are any different this time. Our Guest Judge is Debbie Reynolds. She has nothing to contribute to this show. I mean, I'm not gonna hate, the old bitch had some cute old-lady things to say, but nothing of substance. I should just be glad she kept it brief. Hella brief.

1. Ryan and Ricky - Jazz by Mandy Moore. It was a weird routine, in that it felt less like dancing and more like striking poses. To me anyway. But it was Jazz set to Robert Palmer, so I guess that's what it was supposed to be. Ryan disturbs me because she looks 35, but I think she's only 18. She also appears to be 8 feet tall.

2. Caitlynn and Mitchell - Contemporary by Stacey Tookey - to "Turning Tables" by Adele. When I first heard that album I was like, there are 100 songs on this thing that will be used on SYTYCD. It was a really pretty routine - he hit her in the nose early on and so the blood on her nose was distracting, but kind of cool too, fitting the dramatic dance. I rewound this one to watch again.

3. Missy and Wadi - Cha Cha by Jean-Marc Généreux. Lots of Missy Vamping while B-Boy Wadi just kind of stood there. And I could tell that he was being lazy with his arms, and if I could tell, then you know it was bad.

4. Iveta and Nick - Bollywood by the Indian Dude. It was lightning-fast, a really hard routine. The kind where they got out of sync a couple times and you could really see the struggle on their faces. They looked like they were really working. They did really well, but if you looked at their faces you could see the concentration vs. just seeing the fun.

5. Miranda and Robert - Hip Hop by Tabitha & Napoleon - to some classic Busta Rhymes. He absolutely owned the routine. She looked like she was working, but she was good. He was just hella smooth.

6. Clarice and Jess - Contemporary by Stacey Tookey. Little Jess had to execute a lot of lifts. There's a struggle there. Clarice seems to be a lovely dancer, which you could really see when they were dancing separately, but Jess has zero charisma/appeal and so as partners they suck. Ugh.

7. Jordan and Tadd - Viennese Waltz by Jean-Marc Généreux. It was really lovely and wonderful!!! Just one of those delightful flowy dances, with some great lifts too. Tadd's a B-Boy and he was amazing!! He definitely put Wadi to shame. I knew one of my Asians was gonna be a sleeper this year!

8. Melanie and Marko - Jazz by Mandy Moore. It was kind of a classic Jazz routine, with hats and everything. Marko lost his hat once, but got it back nicely. I think they make a nice pair and I really like how both of them dance.

9. Sasha and Alexander - Hip Hop by Tabitha & Napoleon. Another soldier-back-from-war piece. Oh, but this show loves to be topical, what with Obama's speech and all. Stop bringing up politics, I'm trying to enjoy dancing. Sasha is a really fierce dancer, and I look forward to her doing a lot more - and with a less-annoying partner. She was great and is a great actress. They made Debbie and Mary cry.

10. Ashley and Chris - Broadway by Spencer Liff. There are prison bars involved. He stood out to me more than she did, but damn can that girl kick. It was a good routine and they did well.

I'm traveling tomorrow, and if everything goes to plan I'll be watching the Results Show from my seat on Jet Blue.

No comments: