24 April 2012

The Avengers: The Best Night of My Life


It's going to be very difficult for me to write anything coherent about The Avengers.

First of all, I saw it because I once again won tickets from Ain't It Cool News, this time through my great talents in Photoshop.  But they weren't guaranteed seats so it was kind of like a nice refresher for Comic-Con -- Mike headed down while I had to finish something at work, then I joined him just in the nick of time.  And it was also very much like Comic-Con in that you were in an enclosed space with a bunch of people with awkward social skills who share your common interests in all things geeky.  So during the movie, there was shouting, woo-ing, high-fiving, jumping up and down, knee slapping, and all manner of nerdgasms. 

At first, I was like, OK, this movie's alright, it's kind of taking a while to get going and then BAM.  It. Got. Going.  And it was awesome.  I mean, funny, fun, and over-the-top geeky.  And everyone was awesome in it!  Like, you're watching one minute thinking, "Captain America is owning this movie," and then a minute later, "Thor is owning this movie," and then a minute later, "HOLY CRAP, THE HULK IS OWNING THIS MOVIE!!!!"  You get the picture - just awesomeness on top of awesomeness.  It's great to see the team fight -- with each other and side by side.  It's great to have Captain America leading them at one point, as he should.  And The Hulk is AWESOME in this movie - really love him more than any of the other movie versions.

And lord, I haven't even been able to process that Jeremy Renner was in the damn thing and awesome as Hawkeye.  I mean, the whole damn movie... no words.  Loved. It.  Be ready to high-five and shout your way through it.  Unless you're not a nerd.

Oh, and the 3-D didn't seem worth it.  I mean, it was worth it for me because I got the free tickets and the 10-days-in-advance screening and the free 3-D glasses, but it's not worth it for common people.

I'll definitely be seeing this thing again.

No comments: