30 September 2007

Greatest Dining Experience Ever?

I think I can safely say, without my trademark exaggeration, that I had the Greatest Dining Experience Of All Time last night. Or at least the Greatest 2 1/2 Hour Meal Of My Life.

We went to Talula in Miami Beach. I made reservations for the food bar which sits on the kitchen so you can see all the action. It was truly food theater (or, to put it in terms I can understand, a reality show). There was comedy ("Don, you're on fire!") and drama (The Executive Chef didn't like the soup they had made, so we had to order something else. Later, the soup was acceptable and we got to try it.). After about 20 minutes you really get into the rhythm of the kitchen. The waiter gave me the details on each chef - the oldest one was 22!!

Appetizers:
me: Pan Seared Diver Sea Scallop on a Roasted Butternut Squash Griddle Cake, Green Lentil-Cashew & Smoked Ham Cassoulet with Sherry Spiked Crema
Mike: Wahoo Ceviche with Caviar, and we got to try the soup which was a Roasted Fennel, Apple, and Bacon Bisque

Entrees:
me: Preserved Lemon and Thyme Baked Local Black Grouper with Roasted Garlic-Black Peppercorn Gnocchi, Baby Spinach, and Pancetta-Tomato Jus. (I almost jumped over the bar and married Don right there on the spot for this dish. AMAZING!)
Mike: Wild Alaskan Salmon that had arrived 3 hours before. (Don't know the deets on this one - it was a special.)

Dessert:
me: a Smore that was amazing - I need to invest in a blowtorch to duplicate this at home
Mike: Banana Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding with Peanut Butter Ice Cream.

We'll be back there in a month when Houman comes to visit - definitely my favorite Miami restaurant now!!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Now WE have to come back and visit! You just liked it because you love Top Chef and Hell's Kitchen...

KM said...

We're coming too! (just don't know when)

Kim said...

mike would still require ketchup