04 October 2007

New Fall Television Cont'd

Yes, I neglected to mention Kid Nation. Mike has forced me to watch this. It's horrible. They made kids kill chickens. Kids have to clean toilets. Kids have to run through sand storms. Kids cry because they want to go home. (Poor Jimmy! "I'm only 8 I think I'm too young for this!" Shame on his parents.) Last night was horrible - shots of the kids partying it up at the Saloon - doing shots and things that looked like Irish car bombs. Pretty good behavior they're emulating!!

Mostly I find this show hard to watch because of the nature of the subject. Children. 39 of them. Shrieking. Constantly shrieking. I have to turn the volume way down during competitions because they scream so much, and then the adult host screams over them and it's just a cluster-f. Also, most of these kids are in the Ugly Phase, so there's no eye candy.

And then they give them a microwave as a reward. A microwave? Well there goes the whole "this is supposed to be just like the Wild West" thing.

Pushing Daisies was really good, and actually got great ratings, so the quirk might work here too! It reminded me of a Tim Burton movie. It's a fairy tale really, and felt like a movie. It could have ended with the pilot. So it will be interesting to see what else they do to continue the story. And I was right about the lead. Unappealing douche.

Bionic Woman went way off-track for the second episode. And not just because of Isaiah Washington. But partially because of Isaiah Washington. Also, because every good hero needs a good, equal villain. I thought that blonde chick, the first Bionic Woman, was supposed to be that. But instead they did some kind of saving-the-world plot that I actually didn't get AT ALL. Superman's boring when he's flying around in his underwear saving babies. He's a lot better when he's fighting Lex Luthor. That's all I'm saying.

No comments: