15 December 2009

SYTYCD: Performances: FINALE

OK what? Two problems up front:

1. I don't like having 6 dancers in the finale. More dancers means more vote-splitting and I worry some wild card is going to win this thing.

2. A one hour performance finale? Really!? It's been 2 hours of performances all along, but when the finale comes around they cut it to one hour? I mean, I thought 2 hours was too long all along, but for the finale I just assumed I was in for 2 hours, and I had come to terms with it.

As it turns out, it just means the judging gets edited down, we only get couples dances and no solos and we don't get the behind-the-scenes rehearsal/choreography stuff.

At least Cat looks gorgeous in her red one-shouldered dress. Let's get to the performances.

1. Kathryn & Ryan - Samba. He's shirtless, I'm gagging. It's good, and there's this amazing lift/throw-onto-Ryan's back at the end. But he's half nude and writhing so I'm grossed out.

2. Ellenore & Jakob (My Powerhouse Couple)- Broadway. It hurts to watch him. HURTS. He's so flexible and his extensions are amazing. That split? Those jumps and kicks? I could watch them dance together all day long.

3. Ashleigh & Russell - Lyrical Jazz. This is the couple we never got to see. OMG. It was gorgeous. They were amazing and I totally got chills and teared up on this. Holy crap. He was amazing and she made me a believer too. But really it's all about Russell - he's a crumper dammit!!! He made the judges cry.

4. Ellenore and Ryan - Jazz. It was this really odd robotic routine. So it didn't seem very dance-y for me. There wasn't anything to get swept away in.

5. Ashleigh & Jakob - Foxtrot. It was fine. Kind of a standard foxtrot, not too exciting.

6. Ellenore & Russell - Paso Doble. OH SNAP! It's insane. Just intense and hot and insane.

7. Kathryn & Jakob - Contemporary. INSANITY! They are so good together. It was so good and everyone was on their feet. They're just brilliant and it was absolutely one of the best performances. Guh.

8. Ashleigh & Ryan - Contemporary. Gag. The married couple. At least it didn't end with a hardcore makeout. They did cry though. It was lovely, but the gimmickiness of it was too much for my cynical heart.

9. Kathryn & Russell - Hip Hop. OH MY GOD! It was incredible. Just amazing. He was dancing with her on his shoulders, it was just fun and fabulous and some nice, classic Tabitha & Napoleon. Good stuff, man.

MUST WIN: Jakob. Or Russell. Can we have 2 winners please?

I'D BE MORE THAN OK IF THEY WON: Ellenore and Kathryn. Especially Kathryn - she was amazing tonight.

KILL ME IF THEY WIN: Ryan and Ashleigh. For real.

No comments: