09 December 2009

Top Chef: Finale

Come on, Kevin!!!

Final Challenge: Cook a three course meal. First course - use everything in the box you're given (fish, crab, lemons, and squash included). Second - cook anything you want with anything in the kitchen. Third - you must make dessert.

Then the chefs draw knives randomly to get their sous chefs from among all of the former contestants. Ugh. Random!? Kevin gets Preeti and Ash. DAGGER! Brian lucked out with Jennifer and Ashley. Michael gets Eli (he's good as a sous chef) and some chick I can barely remember.

Kevin's pretty bitter about his assistants, and I don't know that I've ever seen him mad. Poor guy.

Their mothers stop by for a visit on the morning of the competition. Of course, that's only to drive home the point that Bryan and Michael are brothers. But Kevin's mom is adorable and gives him a nice pep talk.

The chefs are given a last-minute addition to their challenge - create an extra course (to serve as the first course) inspired by your childhood/mothers. Kevin makes fried chicken skin. Of course he does. Luckily, it's pretty much used as a garnish.

For their main dishes, Kevin made pork (duh), Bryan made venison, and Michael made squab.

Kevin's dessert has chocolate bacon mousse and bacon brittle. Yes! YESYESYES! Go Kevin!

You couldn't tell who was going to win going by the judges' reactions at the table - there were negative and positive for all of them.

Kevin had a bad day so he didn't win. Sadness. I'll blame Preeti for this. I will be avenged!!

Top Chef: Michael. It came down to The Brothers. Wow, that was kind of surprising. I never really noticed that he was all that good, and he beat his brother. I guess I'll have to check out his restaurant. But I'm going to Kevin's first!

No comments: