04 September 2006

My Steps aka Alcohol is El Diablo (The Devil)

I survived a horrific night, I counted my blessings, and now I’m entering rehab. My own rehab. I’ve decided not to drink alcohol anymore. Sure, you always say that after a night of heavy drinking. But I think I mean it this time. When I had the near-death experience kayaking I swore off kayaking and haven’t done it since. When I encountered a bear camping I swore off camping and haven’t done it since. With this, the furthest I’ll go is a glass of wine at dinner or a wine tasting. What’s wrong with exercising a little self control? Drinking usually turns out bad for me. So I’m creating my own version of the 12 Steps – with half the work.

Step 1: It is what it is. I did what I did and I can’t change it. But I can make changes to prevent it from happening again.
Step 2: You have to hit rock bottom to see the top. Self-explanatory and so profound.
Step 3: Don’t outsource the blame that belongs in your own backyard. Sure, I could blame Houman for buying me the cigar or Mike for picking the Chinese restaurant, but ultimately the night came down to me and my relationship with El Diablo.
Step 4: Don’t rely on others for control. I could say that I’ll limit myself to one drink, and ask Mike to make sure I don’t drink any more than that. But that wouldn’t work because I’d just cuss him out and do it anyway. It doesn’t end with just one drink for me.
Step 5: Alcohol is El Diablo. Every night of drinking ends badly and lasts into the next day. I’d rather wake up refreshed, non-toxic, and able to eat solid food.
Step 6: Walk a mile in my shoes. Right, that one doesn’t make sense, but it came to me as a Step and it must be written down.

So I’ll definitely blog the next drink I have. Which will be never. Clean living for me! Maybe I should just become a Mormon. They get to wear magic underwear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you could replace alcohol with weed. No hangovers or vomiting! Just an idea :-) I'm glad you survived!

Anonymous said...

I never knew you were a QUITTER! I hope you're over this lame mid-life crisis by the time the Mehaffey's visit!!! I don't buy the "born-again sober" BS!