26 December 2007

Christmas With the Jews

As always, we did movies and sushi on Christmas. More and more people are either converting to Judaism or downright refusing to spend time with their families on Christmas, because the places were packed.

The movies I saw have this theme: They Have Absolutely Nothing in Common. I couldn't have seen 3 more different movies if I tried.
First up, National Treasure 2. I'm a big fan of the first movie. It's a guilty pleasure, a poor man's DaVinci Code. The sequel was not as good as the first (of course), but it was still an enjoyable, pop-corny movie. I think I just invented a term. A blend of popcorn and corny. I'm freaking brilliant. Moving on.
Next, Juno, which is one of the best movies of the year. It's the Jamie Lynn Spears story, but funny. And less white trash. Ellen Page, who plays Juno, is really good. Juno's such a funny kid and the other characters are well written too. It's sweetly funny, with some LOL moments.
Finally, Sweeney Todd. Another really good movie, but so different from the others - a dark musical. I'm going to go out on a limb here and boldly proclaim that Johnny Depp is a really good actor. The movie is a pretty typical Tim Burton movie, which is a good thing. As with most musicals, it takes a while to get into the fact that they're singing, but it's such a demented, fun movie.

No comments: