24 December 2007

Christmas With Mickey

We had a great time up in Disney World. First off, we stayed at the Hilton resort which was the best hotel I've been to up there. (We got it through Priceline for $60! This blog entry brought to you by Priceline.com, the only place to name your own price for hotel rooms.)

Saturday I went to The Magic Kingdom for the first time. I'm a bit too cynical for Disney World. I see the performers and wonder if this is what they had in mind for a career when they went to school. I envision that Cinderella was a star ballerina in New York before she hurt her knee and now she has to perform in front of the castle every hour.

We did classics like It's a Small World and The Hall of Presidents (both as corny and annoying as I thought). Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Space Mountain were good rides. I probably liked exploring Tom Sawyer Island the best, it has caves to walk through and a barrel bridge. High-class, mature entertainment. Saturday afternoon I got a migraine, so we ate dinner at the United Kingdom in Epcot and then went back to the hotel.

After sleeping for no fewer than 10 hours, we decided to just do Disney-MGM Studios on Sunday. Good thing we did. We spent 12 hours there and got to do everything we wanted. The Tower of Terror is still the Greatest Ride of All Time, so we did that twice. New to us (we haven't been here in 10 years) were the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and the Extreme Stunt Show.
They were both awesome. In the evening we saw the Harlem Gospel Choir perform Christmas songs, which was the best way to get in the Christmas spirit in spite of the 80-degree weather, and also a new laser/fountain/live action spectacle known as Fantasmic! ("!" included in the name). It was cool - there's a reason 10,000 fill the amphitheater 30 minutes before show time.

After eating at the 50's Prime Time Cafe (where they yell at you if you have your elbows on the table), we spent the rest of the night at The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights display. They take the New York backlot and add millions of Christmas lights that dance to music every 15 minutes. It was incredible. And it "snowed" too! It was a great way to spend Christmas weekend. I was literally skipping around the street and singing along to the music. God am I queer.

I'll post more on that display tomorrow. Basically, I'm planning to spend every Christmas at Disney-MGM Studios. It'll be our new tradition. Anybody who wants in, let me know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dinner at the United Kingdom? Really? What did they serve, curry chicken?

Mary said...

What is fantasmic a combination of? Fantastic and orgasmic?

Juju said...

Did I forget to mention the part where magical Mickey jizz spurted into the audience?