23 May 2008

Indiana Jones... I'm Still Not Sure How I Feel About This


Before, during, and after seeing Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I had the same thoughts: Am I too cynical for Indiana Jones now? Is this nostalgia in a good way or in a bad way? I still don't know the answers to these mysteries.

It's the Indiana Jones I remember: corny, campy, cheesy. The stunts are obviously done by stuntmen. The sets are obviously fake, from the fake signs to the fake cobwebs. The lighting is fuzzy. The story doesn't make sense. Only now I think I'm too old for that S. Somehow with a movie like this when the story is confounding and the stunts are fake, I don't like it. Maybe I've been to Disney World too often and the whole thing comes across like the latest ride/stunt spectacular.

So if you're looking to relive your childhood, and haven't outgrown it, see this movie. For the record, Mike would give it a 68. Because he apparently works off a complicated 100-point scale. No easy 4-star system for him. And 68 isn't exactly a glowing review.

And if you see it I dare you to explain that plot to me. And the necessity of the opening sequence.

No comments: