21 December 2010

Tron: Legacy


Honestly, I only saw this movie because I am a Supportive Wife and it has a Daft Punk soundtrack. And you know what? It wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. It was actually enjoyable, which is high praise from me when it comes to Tron.

We watched the original the weekend prior to seeing this. I had never seen it, and for good reason - if it's not something you saw as a kid and are nostalgic for, then there's no point in watching horribly dated special effects. It just becomes laughable. I have a feeling that's why you apparently can't find it in stores anywhere (we've had a copy forever, natch). Disney probably doesn't want you associating the new version with the old one.

Anyway, the movie's really all about the style and special effects, and they're cool. If you don't see it in IMAX 3D I don't imagine there's any good reason to see it. I don't get the story - never have - you can get sucked into the world of the computer where programs are like people and fight and play games? Really? Whatever. But when there are cool light-cycle chase scenes and dance-fighting mixed with a killer techno Daft Punk soundtrack, you buy in.

So if you've got a couple hours to spare you could see a lot worse. Or I suppose you could just listen to the soundtrack.

No comments: