19 January 2008

Cloverfield is Wicked Cool


It just is; it's just cool. As I'm sure you know, the film is about something attacking New York City, and it's shot all in first person, with a handheld camera. That means I got motion sick once and I was constantly wanting to yell at the camera guy, "Turn around! Look back there!" I love that kind of interactive experience.

There was a little plot, but mostly a lot of running. It was very scary, the monster(s?) was freaky, and you definitely get some good looks at it (them?). I realized after the movie that there was no score. At least I don't think there was, and of course that would make sense for the style.

I stayed through the credits because I heard that there was some kind of sound at the end. Of course it didn't make sense, til someone ran it backwards. That's typical, creepy-as-hell J.J. Abrams. You can find it here if you want.boomp3.com

Staying through the credits meant I got to unexpectedly see the name of an old buddy in the credits as the Art Department Coordinator. I remember 2 things about Bobby Z.: we got into a car accident together and he never had his wallet when we all went out.

Anyway, it's definitely a must-see film. And I missed something in the very last scene that hints at the origin of the monster(s?). Does that mean I have to see it again? Nah, I'll just wait for the still to be put online. Drink a Slusho and watch Cloverfield!

1 comment:

Mary said...

enough with these movies...i'm waiting for b&c's review of diet cherry chocolate dr. pepper!!!