25 June 2009

Transformers 2

I wanted to love this movie. I loved the cartoon, I loved the toys, I LOVED the first Transformers. I watched the first movie on Tuesday night and still got chills when the machines transformed. But this sequel wasn't that great, and wasn't necessary.

It's really more of the same, except with some added robot "comedy". Shia LaBeouf is funny enough for me, thanks, I don't need two idiot twin robots doing schtick.

One problem I had with Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen was all of the story. I don't require this much plot/set-up in my robot films, thanks. I also hate when the robots talk to each other. They look really ridiculous. I prefer them in their robots-in-disguise disguise. I wanted less talky and more transformy. The movie's also too damn long.

John Turturro is back and he's great; I loved him so much in the first one too. Just a hammy, over-the-top character. There's also this new stone-cold hottie, Ramon Rodriguez. He was in The Taking of Pelham 123 too. And I was like, "Where have I seen him before?" He was Omar's last boyfriend on The Wire. Awesome.

Aaron Pierce is back kicking ass, but we get 4-5 testicle jokes and a wee bit of racism and misogyny. It's a trade-off.

The first movie was definitely more exciting -- because we were seeing the Transformers for the first time. In this one, they always seem to be in robot form and most of the transforming was hidden or off-camera. Boo.

Optimus Prime was outside of my movie theater though last night. Cool.

No comments: