06 November 2006

The Greatest Five Minutes of My Life

Our trip up North this weekend was great. It was perfect – jam-packed with most of the stuff I miss. Friday night, we step off the plane and it’s 40 degrees colder than it was when we got on it. Saturday morning I drove to Pennsylvania bright and early. It was a beautiful drive, with the mountains, red and yellow trees, frosted-over fields, and dead deer splattered on the road. Ahh… Pennsylvania. It was also butt-freezing. I had a great visit with the family.

Sunday we went to the Ravens/Bengals game, courtesy of My Good Friend Houman. We got to Baltimore early and walked around Federal Hill. I really do miss Baltimore. For all of its faults, it’s also a city with a lot of character, which I think is lacking down here in Florida when most people are from other locations in the country and don’t really form an identity down here. We made our way through a packed market, finally ending up at a stand with signs proclaiming, “Best BLT in Town” and “Best Half and Half.” Of course, I took this as a challenge that I had to take part in. And guess what -- they were!!!!!!!! Served up with heavy Baltimore accents, of course. I also love the tailgaters in Baltimore. It’s really insane the number of people in the parking lot, deep frying onion rings, grilling, and hooking up satellite dishes to the roofs of their vans.

This brings me to the title of my post. In the first 5 minutes of the game, the Ravens scored off a fumble and again off an interception. And it all happened on the part of the field that was right in front of us. I was losing my mind. I was propelled into a state of Football Euphoria. My throat kills today because I was screaming so much. Ravens held onto the lead and kicked Cincinnati’s ass. It was good times, good times.

Then AirTran had to be a buzz kill and delay my flight an hour. That’s why I usually take Southwest.

Anyway, it was still a perfect trip. Better yet, when we got home it was warm and breezy. Hopefully during next month’s visit we can go to DC and the old Owings Mills 'hood.

1 comment:

KM said...

Yay, come to DC!