02 February 2010

Oscar Nominations

I actually watched the nominations at my desk at work this morning, but totally spaced on commenting on them here. To be honest, there were no big surprises. All of the nominations went pretty much as they have in other awards shows.

I'm beyond pleased that Jeremy Renner was nominated for Best Actor for The Hurt Locker. I'm a big fan of his and for a hard-working actor who isn't well-known to get nominated... that's great.

Christoph Waltz was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Inglourious Basterds. DUH!

There are 10 nominations for Best Picture this year, and I am not a fan of this. It nominates too many films and splits the votes for the ones that are actually worthy. Let me run them down.

Avatar. Look, it was OK, it was revolutionary film-making, and it was bound to be nominated. But it wasn't the Best Picture of the year.

The Blind Side. This is the one that stands out and makes you go, What? I still haven't seen it, even though I want to. I'm sure it's good, but there's just no way in hell it's the Best Picture of the year. I think even the filmmakers would admit to that.

District 9. I'm so pleased with this nomination. Will it win? No, but it really is an amazing film.

An Education. Have I seen this British film? No I have not.

The Hurt Locker. Amazing!

Inglourious Basterds. AMAZING!

Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire. No way in hell will I ever see this movie; it just looks too real and depressing. I'm sure it's good.

A Serious Man. It's the Coen Brothers movie no one saw. Next.

Up. It was really good, and definitely deserves to be nominated in a field of ten.

Up In The Air. Of course this one gets nominated as well, no surprise there, it was great.

I'm glad I've seen most of the Best Picture nominees. But it's clear which ones wouldn't have made the cut if there weren't 10 nominees.

No comments: