25 July 2009

Comic-Con: Friday Part 1

I stayed in Hall H today for all of the movie presentations. Here's a quick rundown.

Where the Wild Things Are. Looks amazing. And the author, Maurice Sendak, is 100% behind the movie. He's so excited about it that I have to be too. I was skeptical with the initial trailer, but the clips they showed today looked great. Only the kid from the movie showed up; you don't need a photo of his unknown ass.

The Book of Eli. Denzel Washington, Mila Kunis, and Gary Oldman star in a post-apocalyptic thriller directed by The Hughes Brothers. It looks every bit as cool as that sounds. Denzel was the man. He dropped the N-bomb, he said working with Gary Oldman was like good sex. The cast seemed to have a blast filming and were all funny and cool.


A Nightmare on Elm Street starring Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy. Another classic-horror-film-remake, but with JEH, it has to be good, right? The clips they showed sure looked scary. They finished filming 2 weeks ago and said it's more scary and less jokey (like the recent ones had gotten).


The Box. From the director of Donnie Darko, starring James Marsden and Cameron Diaz. This movie looks spooky and bizarre. It's about a box that contains a button - if you press it, you get $1 million... but someone has to die. Then I suppose from there there are even worse consequences. It looked good.


Jonah Hex with Josh Brolin and Megan Fox (Girl Crush #1 of the Day). They just finished 2 days ago. It's a supernatural Western with zombies. I usually hate slow, boring Westerns, so count me in. Josh Brolin looks amazing, kind of like he was in Grindhouse.


Legion starring Paul Bettany, Doug Jones, and Tyrese Gibson. OK, so I have no idea how this movie is going to end up. It's "angels with machine guns." It's about the Angel Michael coming down from heaven to save a chick's unborn baby. Meanwhile the Angel Gabriel is this badass with huge black wings (Kevin Durand from Lost) who has a huge fight with Michael. It's essentially the army of God coming down to kill everyone. It looks cool, but I know these things can backfire. I'm hopeful. The director and Paul Bettany are working on another project for 2010 called Priest, which I believe is based on a graphic novel. They love their religious themes, clearly.

1 comment:

Anne said...

I am SO excited for Where The Wild Things Are!! And I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I hate this new trend of remaking old horror movies. They're classics, let them be. Come up with your own ideas.