08 March 2009

I Watched Watchmen (Clever, No?)


Every so often a movie comes along that is so special I will drive 1 hour and 15 minutes to see it on IMAX. Watchmen is such a movie.

OK, fine. I also drove that far because it's the closest Sonic. Diet Cherry Limeade and tater tots are worth the drive.

I really enjoyed the movie. I say this having read the graphic novel on which it is based, though. So I was able to fill in some blanks and really grasp what was going on. I can't help but wonder if total newbies would be able to follow it. There's a lot of material left uncovered from the novel, and yet the movie is still over 2 1/2 hours long. It just seemed to go by so fast and skate over some of the backstory.

The special effects are amazing. The music is great. The slow-mo isn't annoying. The characters/actors are great, particularly The Comedian and Rorschach. Strike that. Rorschach is FREAKING AMAZING!! He was great and I was so pleased because his character was my favorite in the novel.

I also liked the new ending. It's much more plausible to me than - spoiler alert for the novel - a giant squid. I think that makes the movie easier to swallow for the uninitiated.

So I thought the movie was great, and lives up to the vision of the novel. I can imagine it's quite dense for those who haven't read it (Christ, the novel itself is freaking dense), but should be checked out for Rorschach alone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was amazing, y/y? And I'm so jealous that you got to see it in IMAX with diet cherry limeade and tater tots!!! :p