23 March 2008

The Frakking Best Frakking Show on Frakking Television


Yeah, I spent the last 6 days watching 20 episodes of Battlestar Galactica, what of it? It's raining this weekend - what was I supposed to do?

I love this frakking show. Either in spite of or because of its sometimes heavy-handed religious and political allegory. It just makes me feel smart. While still being, you know, geek fodder.

While the first and second season dealt with big issues like religion and war, I thought the third season was quite different. I liked how it started, continuing with the war and the insurgency, but somewhere around the middle it changed and did a few self-contained episodes that weren't part of the larger mythology. I still liked them, but felt that the show got back on track once Baltar's trial started. And boy, does BSG know how to end a season. Each season ended so well but I really like this last season's trippiness. 4 of the Final Five Cylons are revealed - and brought together by hearing "All Along the Watchtower." Holy crap I loved that, how it all came together. So spooky. And I dare you to get that song out of your head after watching it.

As if that wasn't enough of an ending, a presumed-dead Starbuck reappears. But here's the thing - she blew the frak up. So is she just a figment of Lee's imagination? I hope not, because we have enough of those people-talking-to-hallucinations things on this show. By which I mean too many.

The other great things about the show - the characters. They are so awesome and so flawed so even when I want to hate one for doing something, that person is so awesome the next minute that I can't. I love them all for different reasons. Every episode it's a new favorite character: Tigh, Roslin, The Chief, Gaeta, Baltar, Starbuck. Maybe there's only one annoyance: yes, I'm talking to you, Helo. But then I gotta love him for being a big, dumb himbo. And I liked him so much the first season trapped on Caprica that I forgive his seeming irrelevance now.

At any rate, I can't wait to finally watch this show live and not have to hide from spoilers any longer.

No comments: